[ltp] ThinkPad R31 Information

Sean O Sullivan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:33:04 +0100

Paul Sladen wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Sean O Sullivan wrote:
>
> Hello Sean,
>
>   http://www.paul.sladen.org/thinkpad-r31/thinkpad.html

Yes, I saw your site previously, very useful, thank you ;)
It was there where I got address for this list.
I have the 2656-J2C, which was why I was unsure if had the wireless
capability

>>if 1) the laptop supports it.
>

> Yes.
>

>>It has a miniPCI slot,
>

> Yes;  the R31 is about the last machine from IBM that doesn't come with
> their evil BIOS restriction on which cards you can use.
>

>>however, I don't think there is an antenna [in the monitor?].
>

> Depends whether it came with one.  Does it have dashes at the top left and
> right corners?  (Dashes mean the antenna is pre-installed).

No dashed sadly, however on either side of screen there is a 'o' 3/4 way
up. Same 'o' that is on screen at very bottom on left and right, on front.

> You can fit the Antenna but you'll have to accquire this from IBM and
> deconstruct about half your laptop in the process.

Sounds like fun heh.

>>I'm based in Ireland, and looked on Komplett/Irish/British sites, but
>>have not gotten any products for the R31 2656
>

> Any MiniPCI (preferably Orinoco-based) 802.11b card should work best.
>
> 	-Paul

Thank you very much for the information, is it only 802.11b cards which
are supported ? I know Linux doesn't have great support for anything
other than b, however, is it possible to get 802.11g, and install the b
driver in Linux, or is this a completely separate issue ?

Thanks again for information, and quick response.

Regards,

Sean O Sullivan

BitBucket, IT Carlow's Networking Society
http://netsoc.itcarlow.ie