[ltp] booting from USB hard disk

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:05:13 -0400

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 11:07, after a long battle with technology,=20
Vincent Touquet wrote:
> In the BIOS I should be able to include my USB stick and or USB hard
> disk in the boot list, yet it doesn't seem possible ... (using 'x')

What's the model# of your Thinkpad?  Always include that information=20
when you ask technical questions.  Some Thinkpads can't boot from a USB=20
device.  Describe what exactly you did in the BIOS Setup.  =C9crivez en=20
fran=E7ais si vous preferez, je peux le lire.

> Or maybe the BIOS is smart enough to check for a valid boot block ?

The BIOS will check for a boot signature on the first 512 bytes of=20
whatever device it boots from.  If that signature isn't there, the BIOS=20
checks the next device in the list.

=2D-=20
   "We should have a policy against using personal resources for company
   business."  "The Company didn't pay for these pants, so I'm taking
   them off at the door!"  --J. Moore and A. DeBoer, the Monastery