[ltp] problems with 2.6.6 and 2.6.7

Mike Lamb linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:02:27 -0500

Hi Mark,

On Thursday 17 June 2004 05:44, Mark Houlder wrote:
> has anyone else experienced problems with 2.6.6 or 2.6.7 kernels? i
> haven't been able to boot any new kernel since the very early 2.6.6
> versions - my machine boots almost to the login prompt but hangs just
> before the prompt appears with a black screen - can't even login with
> ssh (although sshd does start up). /var/log/messages shows nothing out
> of the ordinary that i can see, i'm a bit stumped. i've tried
>
> mm-sources 2.6.6/2.6.7
> ck-sources 2.6.7
> love-sources 2.6.7
> vanilla 2.6.7
>
> all to no avail - anyone had similar experiences with the latest kernels?

This may be a long shot but have you checked /var/log/XFree86.0.log?  I'm
guessing that by "login prompt", you mean a graphical login.

If you post the model of your machine and the distribution version you are
running, someone else may have a better answer.

Some other information that be helpful to know:

Is it correct to assume you can boot 2.6.5 successfully?

What is the last service that starts successfully?

Also, you mention that sshd starts, at what point does your your ssh attempt
fail?  i.e. Can you establish a TCP connection on port 22?  Does the
authentication fail?  Does the login fail after that?

Good luck!
Mike