[ltp] Measuring temperature

Dmitriy Morozov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:40:42 -0400

Hello, everybody.

Is there a way to measure CPU temperature without ACPI?

I'm trying to track down a problem (the computer occasionally freezes
- the occurrences seem to be completely random, so now I'm thinking
that maybe overheating has something to do with it). With ACPI it
tells me the temperature just fine, but I cannot use Suspend-to-RAM
properly (network and sound die shortly after resume), which makes
the system a bit useless to me. So I'm looking for a way to measure
CPU temperature without having ACPI support (with APM). As far as I
could tell lm_sensors won't compile on a thinkpad, so the question is
what else can I do? Or should I try to force lm_sensors to work? Is
it safe to do on T41?

Any ideas and advice are appreciated.

Best,
Dmitriy