[ltp] Intend to set up wireless, which driver?

Jeffrey Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:57:36 -0500

Quoting Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>:
> Luke Yelavich <themuso@themuso.com> writes:
>
> > Hi all
> > I have a ThinkPad R50, and intend to set up wireless support under
> > Linux. I know about the open source Intel Pro 2100 driver, but I think
> > that not all features have been implemented and there are still issues.
> >
> > So should I still use the open source driver, or would NDISWrapper be a
> > better option?
>
> The ipw2100 driver is better in my experience.  The ndiswrapper driver I
> was using (1-2 months old) did not report signal strength, noise,
> etc. which was kind of annoying (though it did work OK).

The ndiswrapper is an interim fix, IMHO.  It uses the NDIS interface which
knows nothing about wireless, hence no way to communicate signal
strength et al.  The ipw2100 driver is usable, reports some of the RF
information.  And it crashes and restarts itself somewhere around once
per hour.  It is improving, both adding features and improving
stability.

HTH,
  Jeffrey