[ltp] Newbie's Guide to Wireless LAN on Thinkpad 42p with Atheros Chipset

Matt Ettus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:05:34 -0700

Quoting James Ryan <jamesr@totalinfosecurity.com>:

> Just to save anyone else the frustration, here's what I did:

Thank you so much for this.  It did end a lot of frustration for me.

I should say that if you use FC2, then you can get an rpm for this driver at
atrpms.net.  It doesn't seem to control the Wireless LED on my T41, but I guess
I'll have to live with that :)

> Now, configure it.  It's helpful to bring up the interface first, since
> it will auto-configure a lot of settings.
> ifconfig ath0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy up
>
> Of course, you need to specify your ip address and netmask here.

My only remaining problem is getting this card to work with the normal Fedora
network setup stuff since the manual method is, well, manual.  I would like to
not have to tell the system what access point, what IP address, what netmask,
and what routes to use.  Any idea how to use dhcp?

The FC2 network scripts seem to only work with ethX and not athX.  Why did the
madwifi and/or atheros guys insist on using athX?  It is so nonstandard.

Anyway, thanks again,
Matt