[ltp] Newbie's Guide to Wireless LAN on Thinkpad 42p with Atheros Chipset

James Ryan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:48:05 -0400

HANG ON, I FOUND AN EASIER WAY.

First, check your /etc/modprobe.conf for a line that says:
alias eth1 ath_pci

(might not be eth1, could be something else).

If it does not exist, add it.  Be sure to use a network device name that
is not already in use, such as eth1, eth2, etc.  I will assume eth1 from
here on down.
Save the file.  You should probably reboot Linux here.

If you already have a line in modprobe.conf that sets an alias for
ath_pci, just run the network config GUI and click "New" then choose
"Ethernet connection".
Select ath_pci (eth1) or AR5212 802.11abg NIC (eth1)
Set up your IP settings.  It won't give you wireless options, because it
thinks this is an Ethernet card, not a wireless card.  We can fix that.
Exit the network config gui
Edit the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
Change:
Type=Ethernet
Type=Wireless
Run the network config GUI again and you should have a Wireless Settings
tab for eth1.

It should all work fine...

-James