[ltp] Linux on 600E

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:30:58 -0400

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:12:46 -0700
Michelle Klein-Hass <bosslady@msgeek.com> wrote:

> The 600 series is perhaps the best ThinkPad in existence for Linux, save
> for the new ThinkPads that are being built with Linux as well as Windows
> in mind.

I don't know if I'd say the 600s were the "best" for Linux.  While it's
true that all their hardware is to some extent supported by Linux, the
sound can be a royal pain to get working if you're a newbie, and the mwave
modem can be downright finicky when you suspend/resume.

Among the older Thinkpads, I've had good luck with the 240 series (the
240X seems to be one to avoid due to memory limitations and sub-par X
support) and the 570 series.

The 770 series works too, but has most of the same quirks the 600 series
does.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/