[ltp] pre-installation advice?

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:45:29 -0400

sltp@rhythm.cx wrote:
> Hi everyone. I ordered a T40 today, should be here sometime next week. I
> plan on dual booting the shipped XP Pro and SuSE 9.1. With that in mind,
> before booting the laptop for the first time, is there anything I should
> know? Would it be best to resize the NTFS partition before booting into XP
> for the first time, or does it not matter?
>
> Also, do Thinkpads usually come with some kind of recovery/reimage CD or
> DVD, or is that on a hard disk partition somewhere, or do I have to order
> one separately?

My ThinkPad R31 came with a recovery partition, though I was able to get
a CD from IBM.

I'd say boot up in XP first, before making changes, to make sure it's
running OK, then resize the partition to make room for Linux.  Also, on
my ThinkPad, the Touchpoint was unusable, until I added the kernel
parameter "i8042.nomux=1".  SuSE 9.1 now works fine.