[ltp] T41p: APM & ATI fglrx

Dax Kelson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:09:29 -0600

--=-suI657nUL9m6+Cte6lDw

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 20:58 +0200, Fabrice Bellet wrote:
> Hi!
>=20
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 09:05:10AM -0700, Charles Gillet wrote:
> >=20
> > I thought that another reason to use fglrx was because it knew how to=20
> > throttle back the graphics chips so the cooling fan wouldn't be buzzing=
=20
> > all the time ... and not using as much battery.  Can someone on the lis=
t=20
> > say definitively that this is or is not the case?  I *think* I'm gettin=
g=20
> > longer battery life with fglrx, but don't unplug all that often.
>=20
> A patch to the DRI radeon driver exists, that enables some specific
> dynamic power management bits on the chip :
>=20
> http://www.botchco.com/alex/radeon/dynamicPM/

There is also new (June 2004) Xorg radeon patches here:

http://www.botchco.com/alex/radeon/hy0/

Doesn't look like those have the power management bits though.

Any idea who Alex is? Any idea if this code will be merged with the
official Xorg tree?

Dax Kelson

--=-suI657nUL9m6+Cte6lDw

--=-suI657nUL9m6+Cte6lDw--