[ltp] Latest Radeon driver info

Dax Kelson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:58:52 -0600

--=-oz9Kb71agZo7fsjhUPBn

I exchanged an email with Alex Deucher <agd5f@yahoo.com>, thought folks
here would be interested in it:

Non-quoted parts are from Alex.

--- Dax Kelson <dax@gurulabs.com> wrote:
> I'm getting a new laptop on Monday with the Radeon 9600 chipset in
> it.
>=20
> I was planning on running Fedora Core v2 (or maybe development
> branch).
>=20
> I'd like to get the best battery life, so these patches interested
> me:
>=20
> http://www.botchco.com/alex/radeon/dynamicPM/

this implements dynamic clock scaling.  I've test it on my radeons and
it seemed to work fine, but I never really got any feedback.  It could
easily be merged, but no one has done it.

>=20
> And I saw newer patches (but without the PM bits) here:
>=20
> http://www.botchco.com/alex/radeon/hy0/

this is ati's latest code drop.  it includes some laptop lid handling
fixes, render accel, r400 support (2d only), a major crtc code
refactor, and some other odds and ends.

>=20
> What the status of these patches? Are they in shape to be merged
> upstream at Xorg?

sort of... the render code had some bugs, but Eric Anholt fixed them
and merged that portion of the patch.  He also recently merged the DRI
tree changes, so that makes alot of this code some what harder to merge
since the trees are now fairly different.  I imagine it'll happen
eventually.  I was planning to try and integrate some of it myself, but
I haven't had a free moment to mess with it these last few weeks.

>=20
> How does the PM in the your dynamicPM patch compare with the PM in
> the
> official ATI driver?

I don't know that ati's binary driver implements any power management.=20
I've never used it.

>=20
> I'd like to avoid the ATI driver if possible since I don't want worry
> about binary kernel modules.

if you want hw 3d accel, you'll have use the binary module.

Alex

--=-oz9Kb71agZo7fsjhUPBn

--=-oz9Kb71agZo7fsjhUPBn--