[ltp] Random T41 hangs

Chris Brotherton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:41:23 -0600

On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 11:22:09AM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
> Chris Brotherton <chris@protonlab.net> writes:
>
> > Sorry if this has been covered before, but I am running a T41 with 2.6.7
> > kernel.  Every once in awhile the machine totally locks up.  My logs don't
> > reveal anything.  Currently, I am using gentoo as my distro.  I am using apm
> > since I couldn't get suspend to work with ACPI.
> >
> > Specs:
> > T41
> > kernel 2.6.7
> > distro gentoo
> > Xfree 4.3.0
> > Kde 3.2
>
> That information is not very helpful...  except you mention you are
> running gentoo so you could be using some insane compiler optimization
> settings that are causing instability...

My compiler flags are pretty standard:

-O2 -march=pentium3 -fomit-frame-pointer

I got these out of the gentoo handbook.  What information could I give that
would be helpful?

> > Does anyone have any ideas where to start looking for this problem.
>
> The primary suspect is usually wireless, since the drivers for any of
> the wireless chipsets used in these models are invariably sketchy.

My thinkpad will crash when I am running on the built in ethernet without
wireless.  I compiled my wireless drivers as modules.  The modules are not
loaded.  So I don't think it is a wireless problem.  I do not have a built in
wireless card.  I use a PCMCIA orinoco card, but I rarely use it.

As far as I can tell, the crashes occur at random and I cannot reproduce them.
As a result, I am at a loss.  I keep upgrading to the latest and greatest
kernel in hopes that it will fix the problem.

Initially, I thought it might be a hardware problem, but I ran the IBM
diagnostic utility and everything passed.