[ltp] Random T41 hangs

Brian Nelson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:55:21 -0700

Chris Brotherton <chris@protonlab.net> writes:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 11:22:09AM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
>> Chris Brotherton <chris@protonlab.net> writes:
>>
>> > Sorry if this has been covered before, but I am running a T41 with 2.6.7
>> > kernel.  Every once in awhile the machine totally locks up.  My logs don't
>> > reveal anything.  Currently, I am using gentoo as my distro.  I am using apm
>> > since I couldn't get suspend to work with ACPI.
>> >
>> > Specs:
>> > T41
>> > kernel 2.6.7
>> > distro gentoo
>> > Xfree 4.3.0
>> > Kde 3.2
>>
>> That information is not very helpful...  except you mention you are
>> running gentoo so you could be using some insane compiler optimization
>> settings that are causing instability...
>>
> My compiler flags are pretty standard:
>
> -O2 -march=pentium3 -fomit-frame-pointer

Those should be safe enough.

> I got these out of the gentoo handbook.  What information could I give that
> would be helpful?

I was thinking more along the lines of wireless chipset and driver used,
(but you say you don't even use wireless, so that's not relevant), and
the XFree86 driver (radeon or that non-free one).

>> > Does anyone have any ideas where to start looking for this problem.
>>
>> The primary suspect is usually wireless, since the drivers for any of
>> the wireless chipsets used in these models are invariably sketchy.

[...]
> As far as I can tell, the crashes occur at random and I cannot reproduce them.
> As a result, I am at a loss.  I keep upgrading to the latest and greatest
> kernel in hopes that it will fix the problem.

I would also try a 2.4 series kernel.

> Initially, I thought it might be a hardware problem, but I ran the IBM
> diagnostic utility and everything passed.

You could also try running memtest86+ since that would probably be more
exhaustive.

--
You win again, gravity!