[ltp] Random T41 hangs

Dmitriy Morozov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:16:24 -0400

On Sunday 27 June 2004 10:03 pm, Chris Brotherton wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 09:49:19PM -0400, Dmitriy Morozov wrote:
> > On Sunday 27 June 2004 08:57 pm, Chris Brotherton wrote:
> > > I am beginning to suspect APM too.  I didn't have the crashes
> > > with ACPI, but like you I didn't run it very long.
> > >
> > > Have you tried APM compiled as a module?  I have only
> > > tried compiled in.
> >
> > No, I've only tried it compiled in, but I can't imagine it
> > affecting anything (though you never know). Also, this was
> > happening for me with kernel 2.4 (just to comment on another
> > message). What I'm curious is to try another distribution with
> > its own kernel settings, but don't have the harddrive space now
> > (I also run Gentoo, so maybe some standard kernel configuration
> > that another distribution uses would be better). Anyway, as I
> > said I'm very curious to know if you find anything out.
>
> Have you tried the plain 2.6.7 source from kernel.org?  I use
> gentoo-dev-sources which has some gentoo patches applied.  Our
> problem might have something to do with the patches.

No, actually I haven't. I also run gentoo-dev-sources (and
gentoo-sources for 2.4), I'll give vanilla-sources a shot.

> I also might try removing both APM and ACPI from the kernel to see
> what happens.  At least, it might answer our question about apm.

I was actually thinking exact same thing, although if suspend to ram
doesn't work in that case, it might not last for me (so it will be
kind of like ACPI - it doesn't hang, but I can't run it for very long
either), but we'll see.

Dmitriy