[ltp] Re: Linux but not Thinkpad newbie with q's.

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:36:11 +1000

On 26 Jun 2004, Vicky Lamburn wrote:

[...]

> My query relates to DVDs and S-Video output via the S3
> SuperSavage/IXC16's TV output. I found S3Switch easy enough and issued
> a s3switch tv command in the console (bash) and sure enough my telly
> showed the screen (best in 640x480 and 800x600 unsurprisingly).  I can
> live with no having the LCD on at the same time; however something
> disconcerting has come to mind.
>
> I have tried this with Ogle-MMX w/GUI and Xine with libdvdcss installed
> and all the rest of it (dependencies met basically) and whenever
> outputting the video on TV, the output is badly scrambled, and a big
> blue border on 640x480 and smaller on 800x600 - it almost looks like an
> overlay image not centered properly (this happens in window and full
> screen (ctrl+f in ogle) modes).

I have always had more success using the latest S3 drivers from
<http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html>

I am not entirely sure that it is the driver you need, but if you
carefully try it (and make sure you know how to boot to console mode in
case it does lock up X or something), it may help.

     Daniel
--
It is disconcerting to reflect on the number of students we have flunked in
chemistry for not knowing what we later found to be untrue.