[ltp] ACPI on R50. When should the fan turn on?

Matthias Himber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:39:25 +0200

Am Montag, 28. Juni 2004 01:27 schrieb Luke Yelavich themuso-at-themuso.com=

Linux-Thinkpad|:
> Hi all.
>
> I am using an R50 ThinkPad, running kernel 2.6.7, with ACPI. When I was
> running APM, the fan would turn on and never turn off. Now I am on ACPI,
> the fan hasn't come on yet, and the temperature reported by
> /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/temperature is 45 C.
>
> At what temperature should the fan turn on? I have the fan module compiled
> into my kernel, but the /proc/acpi/fan directory has nothing in it, and I
> can't find anything about the fan in dmesg.
>
> Suggestions welcome.
>
> Luke
45=B0C is an acceptable Temperature for the CPU, the fan should come on at =
50 to=20
60=B0C. Modern CPUs can tolerate operating temperatures up to 95=B0C.
What you should do is start some big CPU eating job - Just compiling the=20
kernel or some other software package will do - monitor the temperature and=
=20
see if the fan comes on. If the ACPI reported temperature doesn't change or=
=20
the fan doesn't come on despite high teperatures that would be a bad sign.
HTH,
	Matthias Himber
=2D-=20
<scirDSL> I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me saying=
=20
"You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funeral=
s.