[ltp] ACPI on R50. When should the fan turn on?

Luke Yelavich linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:37:34 +1000

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 06:39:25PM EST, Matthias Himber wrote:
> 45°C is an acceptable Temperature for the CPU, the fan should come on at 50 to
> 60°C. Modern CPUs can tolerate operating temperatures up to 95°C.
> What you should do is start some big CPU eating job - Just compiling the
> kernel or some other software package will do - monitor the temperature and
> see if the fan comes on. If the ACPI reported temperature doesn't change or
> the fan doesn't come on despite high teperatures that would be a bad sign.

The fan came on at 65 degrees C. Is this a good or bad sign, and can it be
adjusted? I am not running any CPU frequency scaling daemons yet, however I do
intend to do so in the next day or so, as I haven't had to use it off the
charger yet.

Thanks

Luke