[ltp] ACPI on R50. When should the fan turn on?

Luke Yelavich linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:37:04 +1000

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 07:54:34PM EST, Matthias Himber wrote:
> Actually, thats a good sign. The fan control works, and 65°C is OK as CPU
> Temperature. The low figures I gave were a mistake on my part.
> It appears that your machine already uses ACPI frequency scaling, so frequency
> scaling daemons won't make your machine run much cooler, but they might help
> with battery time, you'll have to try that for yourself as I don't use ACPI
> yet.

Thanks for that. I have run some test with both a 2.4 and 2.6 kernels, and the
fan is always turned on around 65 degrees, and turns off at 60 degrees. However
sometimes with a 2.6 kernel, the fan comes on much lower than that, and stays
on for a while. I haven't noticed that with 2.4 yet but since it is the kernel
I intend to use, I will have a much better idea further down the track.

Thanks again for your help.

Luke