[ltp] R32 booting problem

Ken Weinert linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 05:29:14 -0600

--=-us6BsuTW4Yti+SH/AJrc

I have an R32 that's about 18 months old now and it's developed a very
annoying habit.

Rebooting can take as long as 15-20 *minutes*. In addition, it won't
boot off of the CD at all any more.

It boots up through the POST testing without a problem. Then it will sit
there, with that screen up for 4-6 minutes. Then I get the screen clear.
Then we sit there for a while. Then I get the first grub prompt which
again sits on the screen for several minutes.

Eventually it will boot up properly and everything works.

BTW: I can press the function key to go into setup and I'll still get
the initial wait after POST before it goes in to the BIOS setup.

As I stated above, when I power up (and it doesn't matter if it's a boot
while the machine is warm (just a reboot) or it's been off all night)
the CD is "hit" (I hear it spin up) but the system will *never* boot off
of any CD.

I've not found any info through googling, does anyone have any pointers
or references for me to check out?

Thanks.
--=20
   .--.    =20
  |o_o |    Ken Weinert   mc@quarter-flash.com
  ||_/ |    303-452-6603 (V) 303-705-4258 (F)=20
 //   \ \
(|     | )  GnuPG: 9274F1CE  GnuPG available at http://www.gnupg.org/
/'\_   _/`\ 1D87 3720 BB77 4489 A928  79D6 F8EC DD76 9274 F1CE
Documentation is like term insurance: It satisfies because almost no
one who subscribes to it depends on its benefits. -- Alan J. Perlis

--=-us6BsuTW4Yti+SH/AJrc

--=-us6BsuTW4Yti+SH/AJrc--