[ltp] R32 booting problem

Hamie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:43:13 +0100

Ken Weinert wrote:

>I have an R32 that's about 18 months old now and it's developed a very
>annoying habit.
>
>Rebooting can take as long as 15-20 *minutes*. In addition, it won't
>boot off of the CD at all any more.
>
>It boots up through the POST testing without a problem. Then it will sit
>there, with that screen up for 4-6 minutes. Then I get the screen clear.
>Then we sit there for a while. Then I get the first grub prompt which
>again sits on the screen for several minutes.
>
>Eventually it will boot up properly and everything works.
>
>BTW: I can press the function key to go into setup and I'll still get
>the initial wait after POST before it goes in to the BIOS setup.
>
>As I stated above, when I power up (and it doesn't matter if it's a boot
>while the machine is warm (just a reboot) or it's been off all night)
>the CD is "hit" (I hear it spin up) but the system will *never* boot off
>of any CD.
>
>I've not found any info through googling, does anyone have any pointers
>or references for me to check out?

Have you tried resetting your BIOS settings to default? I used to have
problems similiar to that on my a20p that was dying... It would crash
(Hang) , and sometimes do strange things to nvram on the way down...

Anyway resetting to default would fix the long boot times problem...

(Usually very subtle, and I suspect in something that isn't available
for changing via the BIOS menus... But resetting the nvram to defaults
used to fix that bit. Unfortunately it got so bad I had to replace it
with an r50p. It was hardware though, I could duplicate the hangs by
picking it up on the right hand side... And fix it for a short time by
re-seating the RAM :)