[ltp] Linux but not Thinkpad newbie with q's.

Mon, 28 Jun 2004 23:50:10 +0300

--W5WqUoFLvi1M7tJE

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 12:51:47AM +0100, Vicky Lamburn wrote:
> I am writing this email at last from Mozilla Thunderbird on Xandros=20
> 2.0.  I finally ditched XP to replace my ThinkPad T23 with Linux; of=20
> which I am a lot more pleased with (as I expected) and it has overall=20
> gone very well compared to my abortive attempts with NetBSD on the Amiga=
=20
> some time around the mid-late 90s...
>=20
> I have pretty much sussed most things out, such as getting DVDs to play=
=20
> (easy peasy), installing software (notably Firefox and Thunderbird which=
=20
> I am used to), setting up APM instead of ACPI etc.; I'm not a newbie to=
=20
> ThinkPads or computing; just Linux!

You did very well, then.  Power management on laptops and TV output are
dark corners that are more difficult to set up on Linux than they ought
to be.

> I have tried this with Ogle-MMX w/GUI and Xine with libdvdcss installed=
=20
> and all the rest of it (dependencies met basically) and whenever=20
> outputting the video on TV, the output is badly scrambled, and a big=20
> blue border on 640x480 and smaller on 800x600 - it almost looks like an=
=20
> overlay image not centered properly (this happens in window and full=20
> screen (ctrl+f in ogle) modes).=20

I've had similar problems when I tried TV out with mplayer.  The output
would be centered in a 1024x768 virtual screen, but only the top-left
part of the screen would be actually shown, with a blue border on the
top and left sides.  And when the image was larger than the screen
resolution, it would be completely scrambled.

Changing the video output driver from xvideo to x11 seemed to help
somewhat.

I did not pursue my experiments for long because I do not have a TV set
myself, so the interest was purely academical.

> I am using Xandros' default S3 Savage driver, no changes made yet.  Also=
=20
> the output seems to be NTSC which is annoying since I am in the UK and=20
> need PAL and it seems S3Switch does not support PAL output on Savage=20
> chips other than Savage3D chips.

Really?  I only tried this once a while ago, but I think I managed to
use 's3switch pal' successfully.

All right, now when I try it, I get a segmentation fault, but a
subsequent execution of s3switch reports that the current TV format is
PAL.

Also, I seem to remember that 's3switch both' allowed me to get the
image on the LCD and the TV simultaneously.

> I have searched high and low via google, to no avail :(  I have tried=20
> pressing Fn+F7/F8 to see if it helps, not at all.  The scrambled look=20
> sometimes occurs on the LCD but no often.  I read there was an issue=20
> with X11 refreshing?

I did not have any problems with scrambled output while watching movies
on the LCD screen.  At least with mplayer; I've had some problems with
Totem which uses XINE as its backend.

> Is this a video driver issue?

I think so.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
The memory management on the PowerPC can be used to frighten small children.
		-- Linus Torvalds

--W5WqUoFLvi1M7tJE

--W5WqUoFLvi1M7tJE--