[ltp] Latest Radeon driver info

Sun, 27 Jun 2004 20:33:23 +0200

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 15:42:42 +0100, Hamie wrote:
> Dax Kelson wrote:
>
> >I exchanged an email with Alex Deucher <agd5f@yahoo.com>, thought folks
> >here would be interested in it:

> [deleted]
>

> >>I'd like to avoid the ATI driver if possible since I don't want worry
> >>about binary kernel modules.
> >>

> >if you want hw 3d accel, you'll have use the binary module.
> >

> Hmm... I have an r50p (FireGL-T2) with 1600x1200 LCD, and would really
> like to have my cake & eat it too... i.e. 3d accel AND the ability to
> suspend my laptop (The ATI drivers are fast, but won't suspend for me,
> and corrupt the display when switching between VGA text console & X) and
> the X.Org radeon is very stable, but certainly isn't as fast as the ATI
> for 3d work (Although with 2d, I think X.Org might be faster
> [subjectively only, no measurements].

The non-ATI drivers only support hardware accelerated 3D up to the
Radeon 9200. For everything which is newer than this, you need the
fglrx driver for hardware 3D. Google for radon and dri and follow the
link to the radeon wiki to get an overview wich chip is used for the
9200 and the other Radeons and FireGL's.

> Is 3d being worked on for the FireGL-T2 (Rv350?) at all? Is the lack of
> it due to lack of ATI info (Grr!) or lack of time, lack of developers
> with rv350's?

I'm afraid it's the lack of ATI info.

Regards,
Tino