[ltp] Re: Random T41 hangs

Andreas Fuchs linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:41:50 +0200

Today, Dmitriy Morozov <foxcub@foxcub.org> wrote:
>> My solution to these lock-ups was to use ACPI and swsusp2 as a
>> replacement for the broken ACPI suspend-to-RAM modes. Don't know if
>> that's helping you, but it worked for me (-:
>
> Out of curiosity, how long does it take for swsusp2 to take the
> system down and then bring it back up? Also, does everything work
> with it?  Sound, wireless, etc?

This laptop (T40p running Gentoo, on a vanilla 2.6.7 with swsusp2
2.0.0.88 and a local patch for my usb pen drive) shuts down completely
in about 15 seconds. It boots into a fully usable state (that is, X
with eclipse and a browser running) in ~40 seconds.

I've not had any glitches yet, owing mostly to the fact that
hibernating involves powering the machine down and booting it up again
when you wake it up (-:

Another very nice effect is being able to suspend the machine, boot
into windows to do stuff that you can only do there, and boot into
your working environment again - just the way you left it. Yay.

Things I tried that are normally problem sources:

 * Sound - works; I have to reload the mixer settings when it wakes up
 * Network - works; You'll have to take the interface up on wakeup
 * Wireless network with the madwifi driver - works; same as above
 * X without the proprietary drivers - works
 * USB: works perfectly, if you insert the USB modules after
   wakeup. This is probably not necessary if you compiled the USB
   stuff in statically.

Have fun,
--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf@boinkor.net>, asf@jabber.at, antifuchs