[ltp] New Thinkpad Advice - X models

Kevin Krause linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:12:36 +0200

I'm using an X31 right now, and I must say it's a very neat machine, even
though I've got one of the lower end (1.4GHz/no Bluetooth/100M network)
models, it's called 2672-C8G. Everything (IR, modem and Firewire not
tested) works fine, so I can definitely recommend this box for running
Linux. I've heard about the X40s that it's a bit difficult to install
Linux on those boxes because they're using non-standard hardware. They
also use a not-so-easy-to-replace iPod style 1.8" harddrive as opposed to
the standard 2.5" drives in the X31 that can be replaced without opening
the case. This mattered a lot to me as I could simply attach the drive
with an adapter to my desktop PC and partition it there.
I had an X21 before this (266267G, I think). It worked very well too,
only I couldn't make hibernation work. Otherwise it's an extremely nice
machine, too. I think it looks a bit better than the X31, and the hand
rest below the keyboard was made from Ti/carbon composite, while it's
plastic on the X31. And it doesn't have a parallel port - who uses them
these days anyway?

Ken: