[ltp] ACPI & APM Confused

Antiphon linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 01 Mar 2004 00:37:12 -0500

ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) is a newer
implementation of power management than APM (Advanced Power Management).
It is only a couple of years old while APM has been around for a few years
longer.

The Linux kernel has much better APM support than ACPI because many
hardware manufacturers do not fully adhere to the ACPI specs. If your
notebook supports APM, you will most likely be able to get everything to
work under Linux. Many TPs support both specifications and you can choose
which one you want to use.

HTH