[ltp] Re: Fan not shutting down in T40 (Roman Joost)

Heiko Rosemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:57:41 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, ben lamothe wrote:

> Another thing that I have noticed is that once the fan comes on in
> linux, it stays on, even if the temp is as low as 80-85F, while in
> windows, in the rare occasions that the fan comes on, it usually
> switches back off within five minutes, when the temperature is lowered.
>
> What can be the cause of this, well I am no expert on cpu cooling, so my
> guess would be that there is some propreitary windows fan driver that
> IBM just hasn't made available for linux, or that linux, or more
> specifically XFree86 has terrible cpu management and requires the cpu to
> run much less efficiently while executing its binary, while windows has
> exemplary cpu management.  I don't think that it is the latter because
> this problem has not, AFAIK, been exibited in other machines, and
> because linux is superior to windows in *every* way:).  Can anyone else
> shed some light on this?

I can only underline your last conclusion - it definitely has nothing to do
with "better windows CPU management" :-) My X30 is behaving quite similar
with XP and linux: Running quietly when just typing (both at 800MHz and
1200MHz) and turning the fan on a few seconds after starting some "real"
task, turning back off a few seconds after completion (kernel compile
typically turns the fan on when starting to compile and I notice it's done
when the fan turns off again :-))

There still could be some problem with the Linux Centrino support (although
IIRC other Centrinos don't have such problems...)

Just my 2 cent, Heiko