[ltp] Re: Fan not shutting down in T40 (Roman Joost)

Uwe Walter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:16:19 +0100

On Di, 2004-03-02 at 14:04, Carlo Hamalainen wrote:
> make the fan spin up at a few different speeds and then spin down. So
> there's definately software control of the fan, if you ask me.

And this is exactly the kind of software I am missing under Linux.

With my old dell, I had the i8k utilities for this job. I could run a
daemon that would constantly monitor the temperature and define my own
temperature thresholds when to run which fan (the dell had two) at which
speed.

But even if someone would find out the proper commands to control the
fan, this probably wouldn't save me personally. Since I want to stick to
APM for a little longer (as it standbys and resumes perfectly), I don't
even have a means to find out the CPU temperature... :-/

And so, I can only hopelessly add my T40p to the list of thinkpads,
running linux, idling most of the time at reduced CPU speed, with the
fan still active... :-/

Greetings, UW(e)