[ltp] alsa sound on T40

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:31:19 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Roman Joost wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:12:27PM +1100, Luke Yelavich wrote:
> > At 06:49 PM 2/03/2004, Roman Joost wrote:
> > >Maybe I missed something to pass parameters to the alsa module (intel
> > >8X0, afaik). I don't use arts daemon or something else. I looked at the
> > >alsa-project page but can't find anything related.
> > >
> > >Does someone know a solution for this problem?
> >
> > Search through the ALSA documentation, and the ALSA Wiki for the dmix
> > plugin. This should do what you want. You will have to write a .asoundrc or
> > place create an /etc/asound.conf file, which does the same thing.
> >
> > Luke
> Well, thanks for this advice, but i tried to configure my soundcard
> correctly after the example on the alsa project page. Unfortunately,
> this won't work and thats why i'm asking. Is there anything what i can
> do to figure out, what i missed or did wrong?
>
> This is what i wrote into my ~/.asoundrc:
>
>   pcm.intel8x0 {
>     type hw
>     card 0
>   }
>
>   ctl.intel8x0 {
>     type hw
>     card 0
>   }
>
> Maybe someone has configured it well and can post his config file?

For a brief time - I swapped a FC2/rawhide disk into my T40 - and
anaconda configured sound with alsa on it (and it worked). From what I
could tell - it just added the following to /etc/modproble.conf - and
the sound worked. (after cranking up the volume/other-params up with
gnome-volume-control)

--------
alias eth0 e1000
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
--------

The latest FC2/rawhide kernel has some Thinkpad ACPI fixes - so I
should try it again with the T40 :)

Satish