[ltp] Thinkpad 760XL - Linux Install Information

Adam Southerland linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 03 Mar 2004 14:47:22 +0000

Here we go... I have found a better way to install Slackware on my Laptop...

The 760XL has the delima of not being able to boot directly off of the CD.
Switching from Floppy Drive to CDRom during install normally fails (or Linux
doesn't even detect the CDRom because it doesn't exist yet..... [Floppy and
CDRom are swapable only])

Here is what I have done:
Install DOS 6.22 (or PCDos or FreeDOS or any DOS =) - On a 15 Mb partition.
Copy Loadlin.exe, bare.i\bzimage, and the initrd.img files from the
Slackware CD (9.1)
then run:
       loadlin c:bzimage root=/dev/ram rw initrd=c:initrd.img

NOTE: it seems you have to fresh boot and NOT load the cdrom drivers in
order for linux to detect it.

This way I get the max potential from my 2 Gb hd... My other methods
requried me to have a 300 Mb DOS Partition for the Slackware files.

Micah

Frustrated with dial-up? Lightning-fast Internet access for as low as
$29.95/month. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/