[ltp] apt for upgrades

Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:06:48 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Tim ANDERSON wrote:
> If you're using Fedora, there's a HOWTO at
> http://fedoranews.org/jorge/howto/howto01.shtml

This HOWTO is more explicitly for how to upgrade Fedora Core 1 to the
2.6 kernel I think, not generally how to do kernel updates with apt.

My first advice would be to use yum (or up2date) to do kernel updates
in Fedora, as they both handle them fairly automatically (and are
installed by default).  But if you want to use synaptic, you need
to stick with apt: it's still very possible.  Just remember apt is a
bit dumb about the kernel, because it sees multiple packages.  Do this:

apt-get install kernel

- it'll complain about multiple packages and give you a list (with
lost of duplicates).  Pick the latest from the list (first component)
and install it explicitly, in quotes:

apt-get install 'kernel#2.4.20-30.9'

Finally, remember that unlike yum, apt doesn't make the new kernel
default: edit the default line in /etc/grub.conf.