[ltp] airo_mpi vs. airo

Dimitris Kogias linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 05 Mar 2004 09:28:27 -0800

Andreas Kemnade wrote:
> I'm using airo_mpi again. I have often the problem that I cannot send but
> receive with airo.c in 2.6.3. I have not found the time yet to debug it.
> The problem appears mainly in regions with multiple accesspoints which
> do not broadcast the ssid. iwconfig shows an access point
> In that situations reloading airo.ko does not help. The syslog says
> nothing interesting (no tx timeouts). Insmod'ing airo_mpi fixes
> the problem at once.

I saw the same problem when I started using my AP with airo.c on the
laptop.  It had been set up to not broadcast the ssid and had worked
flawlessly with airo_mpi, however with airo I had to turn ssid broadcast
back on.  If I didn't do that, the adapter would associate very briefly
(5-10 seconds) and then disassociate from the AP.  After turning on ssid
broadcast airo has worked without any problems.

There are several other APs in range here, in case that matters.

My iwconfig commands for ifup:

/sbin/iwconfig eth1    \
                essid   <smth offensive about DLink, another story> \
                mode    Managed \
                key     xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [1] \
                key     xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [2] \
                key     xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [3] \