[ltp] apt for upgrades

Tim ANDERSON linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:37:53 -0500

> > I'm wondering if anybody has used apt for doing the kernel
> upgrades and if there are any side effects?

>>> jgutierrez@lrn.com 03/05/04 12:18PM
>>>Will apt use my current kernel config file to setup the new kernel?

Those are binary packages so the kernel config wouldn't come into play,
I don't think.
You can let kudzu find the right modules on startup by removing its
current hardware database, to force it to refresh itself.

> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Tim ANDERSON wrote:
> > If you're using Fedora, there's a HOWTO at
> > http://fedoranews.org/jorge/howto/howto01.shtml
>
> This HOWTO is more explicitly for how to upgrade Fedora Core 1 to
the
> 2.6 kernel I think, not generally how to do kernel updates with apt.

True, but I did find it of great help for kernel updates in general.
(I tend to do it by hand so I can be a bit slow on getting distros to
do it automagically.)

Tim