[ltp] question for dual boot people

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 06 Mar 2004 14:26:51 -0500

If you care about windows at all, then you you should use NTFS for it.
FAT32 cripples windows, and makes the filesystem very inefficient and
insecure.  While there are methods of getting write support to NTFS from
within linux, I still do not trust them.  I don't want a bug to destroy
my windows partition.  Read only works ok, so I will frequently copy
copy files from NTFS to linux from within linux, but not the other way
around.  I do as many people here have already said, and have an
intermediate FAT32 partition called scratch where I can put files that
need to go from linux to windows.  I used to be use explore2fs
(http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm) to read linux
files from within windows, but I now use reiserfs in Linux, and I have
not known of any such comparable tool.  So for me, I must use the
scratch partition for any OS to OS transfer besides windows to linux
from within linux.

Joel