[ltp] Help! Strange problems after adding 1GB memory

Steve Krulewitz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:50:22 -0500

Hey folks --

I just added a 1GB memory chip to my Thinkpad t40p (for a total of
1.5GB) but I can't seem to get things working right.  I did recompile
the kernel with highmem support, and cat /proc/meminfo shows the right
amount of memory.  However, when I start X, the keyboard responds very
slowly and there was a constant beeping (the beep you get when a pc card
is inserted) and these messages in the kernel log:

Mar  8 20:20:47 doolittle kernel: cs: socket f7b58000 timed out during
reset.  Try increasing setup_delay.

It stops when I quit X.  And if I remove the new memory and boot the
same kernel, everything is back to normal.

Anyone have any ideas what I can try?  This is on Debian unstable
2.4.25.  Do you think this is kernel related or possibly XFree86 related?

thanks for any help!

cheers,
-steve