[ltp] Modem AC'97 / Floppy disk Info for a Newbie

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 15:56:59 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, tati wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm new to this list. I've recently installed Fedora Core 1 in my
> ThinkPad R40, this is my first exerience with a linux distro - keeping a
> double boot with XP though.
> Everything works fine except for the modem. It is an Agere Systems AC'97
> Bus PCI 0, VID=x8086, DID=x24c6. Windows has it on COM3.
> I've tried to install the drivers from Agere itself following IBM
> instructions here:
> http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-46024#modem
> I also tried to install these drivers: slmdm-2.7.10.tar.gz drivers
> <http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/slmdm-2.7.10.tar.gz>
> from here
> <http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/slmdm-2.7.10.tar.gz>
> None of these works - or I couldn't make them work. I think that the
> modem is not even recognized.
> Is it a winmodem? Is it possible to make it work on linux? Is it a
> distro problem? Should I just get a hardware modem instead?
> If anybody can give some information on how to set up this modem  I
> would appeciate it - it's my only way to get online!

I haven't used the modem on my T40 yet - and I don't know if slmdm is
the correct driver for the lucent/agree soft modem - however when
compiling the driver - make sure you use gcc32 on FC1.

export CC=gcc32; make
or
make CC=gcc32

<and make sure gcc32 is used by monitoring the compile output>

There is a binary driver at http://dag.wieers.com/packages/kernel-module-slmodem

Satish