[ltp] Modem AC'97 / Floppy disk Info for a Newbie

Mark Houlder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:20:24 +0000

I had the Agere modem working fine with suse9, so it should work with
fedora; however iirc it is limited to 2.4 kernels only, so if you're
using a 2.6 kernel you're out of luck with that (type "uname -r" to see
what kernel you're using). if you do have a 2.4 kernel, after installing
the package (make, make install etc) you need to run the agr_modem
daemon (forget it's exact name); this is a process that runs constantly
waiting for the modem to be used, and is needed for it to work. it was
located under the usual place on my suse box, ie /etc/init.d/agr_modem
or something similar, as an init script - once you find it, run it from
the cmd line like so:

    /etc/init.d/agr_modem start

and you should get a confirmation msg that it works. you'll then need to
configure ppp to use the correct phone number etc... if you're using KDE
this will prob be via kppp

for the slmodem, there are 2.4-kernel and 2.6-kernel versions; if you
have a 2.6 kernel you'll need i think the 2.9 series drivers (2.4 kernel
= 2.7 or 2.8 or 2.9 driver, 2.6 kernel = 2.9 driver only), which are in
the 'beta' section of the smlink site. this version also includes a
kernel patch for alsa which also needs to be applied (may also be true
of 2.7 drivers, don't know as i use 2.6 kernel so only tried the later
drivers). just follow the README instructions - mine installed fine,
haven't had a chance to run it yet, but others have had success. once
installed you have to load the correct module

modprobe slamr

iirc, then run a script in the same way as for the agere driver, then on
to ppp again. haven't actually tried it yet on mine so can't comment on
whether it works, but as i said i know other people have had success

hope that helps

mark

intY has scanned this email for all known viruses (www.inty.com)