[ltp] Processor arch for other t41p users?

Tim Prince linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 04:41:25 -0800

At 04:13 AM 3/10/2004, Mark Houlder wrote:

>i use P3 on my gentoo box; apparently the P4-M is closer in core design to
>the P3 than the P4, but it's debatable. i'm not sure there's any real
>noticeable difference in use
>
>one thing to note is that the L2 cache isn't always set properly. using
>
>cachesize=1024
>
>as a kernel param at boot (lilo/grub) sets that right
>

>Daniel Jimenez wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I've noticed a couple of websites that mention setting the processor type
>>as PIII in the kernel.
>>
>>I've had mine set to PIV since first kernel compile on this laptop. Also
>>for Gentoo, I chose the PIV optimized tarball.
>>
>>What problems am I potentially facing?

When building with gcc, I find an advantage for -march=pentium4  (but not
-mfpmath=sse) on the P4M.  P4M resembles P-III in latencies, P4 in
instruction set capability and best use of prefetch.

Tim Prince