[ltp] X2x dri/opengl performance

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 16:03:28 -0500

Honestly for the type of applications you're talking about I've found my 750
mhz A20p to be perfectly adequate. The rage 128 is certainly not in the
cutting edge of video performance anymore, but all the apps you mentioned
I've run satisfactorily. DVD playback seems fine, you can get S-Video out
(theoretically you can do some sort of capture too, never really made that
work myself...). Tux racer works fine. Quack is fine too, framerates are
predictably mediocre but still fine for all but the most demanding.

I never had any complaints about things like compilation either. I would say
compiling is at least as much a RAM issue as it is a CPU issue though, get
lots of RAM, I run 768 megs on mine.

--
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain