[ltp] AC adapter too hot?

Bill Wohler linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 18:59:01 -0800

Manuel Carro <mcarro@fi.upm.es> writes:

>     I have a T40 with an IBM AC adapter (the one which comes with the
> unit, 16V - 4.5A).  I am using it without bluetooh / WiFi and with
> moderate disk usage (hence, say normal power consumption).  The AC
> adapter is getting terribly hot --- much more than any adapter I've
> seen.  The plugs are firmly in place.  I cannot hold it in my hands (I
> guess it should be, at least, 60C now -- around 140 Fahrenheit).  Is
> this normal?  Does this happen to any of you?

Yeah, but it varies depending on type of charger and load.

My charger plugged into my mini-dock with a fully-charged battery on my
T40p is only warm. My travel charger (which can be used with both DC and
AC) seems to always run very hot (probably too hot to squeeze and hold
for a long period of time). I borrowed a friend's charger (like the one
that comes with the laptop) yesterday in a very low battery situation on
my T40 at work and it got very hot, although not so hot as my travel
charger.

So, your observation is probably normal. It actually surprised me too.

Because of this, I do take precautions like laying the charger on edge
to maximize air circulation. I also never cover it or place it on or
near flammables.