[ltp] Re: AC adapter too hot?

Mika Fischer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:06:16 +0100

Manuel Carro wrote:
>     I have a T40 with an IBM AC adapter (the one which comes with the
> unit, 16V - 4.5A).  I am using it without bluetooh / WiFi and with
> moderate disk usage (hence, say normal power consumption).  The AC
> adapter is getting terribly hot --- much more than any adapter I've
> seen.  The plugs are firmly in place.  I cannot hold it in my hands (I
> guess it should be, at least, 60C now -- around 140 Fahrenheit).  Is
> this normal?  Does this happen to any of you?

I've got an R40 2722-CDG which probably uses the same AC adapter.

I had the exact same problem: the adapter would get so hot that you couldn't
really hold it in your hand. Also the adapter made high-pitched chirping
noises when the laptop was using a lot of power (hdd activity, scrolling a
webpage, etc.)

I called IBM Support and described the problem. They sent me a new adapter
which I received 2 days later and this one only gets warm (and makes no
noises) so I guess the old one was indeed defective.

HTH,
 Mika