[ltp] Need to migrate from a T30 to new T41

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:27:28 -0500

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 13:48, Jericho Gutierrez wrote:
> I'm upgrading to a T41 from my existing T30.  I'd like to move all my data
> from my T30 hard drive to the new one with minimum hassle.  Can I simply do
> a dd copy of the drive to the new one and then do a kernel re-config for the
> new hardware?  Or is it not worth the headache?

i'd say don't bother with dd - just copy the disk over the network using
rsync from single user mode.
you can do this easily by booting the new machine from a knoppix cd and
formatting the disks with whatever fs you want.

the disadvantage of dd is that it will only be the size of your old disk
and requires trickery to resize the filesystems

brad