[ltp] Wireless card recommendation

Jeffrey Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:57:31 -0600

Quoting Vincent Touquet <vincent.touquet@pandora.be>:
[snip]
> Wouldn't it be possible to swap the IBM a/b/g one for the Intel
> WLAN ? I'm about to buy a T41p and I would really like as much as
> possible to have open source drivers.

Intel has released a driver for the Centrino WLAN mini-PCI,
http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/.  There are versions for 2.4.25+ and
2.6.x kernels.  It is a kernel patch and a firmware binary that is
downloaded to the card.  I haven't beat on it hard yet, but it does
work.  It is "experimental" so you have to enable that in your kernel
configuration before you can see the option.  I am running release
0.29 so they consider it a ways from final.  The Linuxant DriverLoader
worked fine on my T41, but the NDIS interface has some limitations on
a wireless interface (signal strength or noise is bogus).  The
ndiswrapper locked on load, corrupting the filesystem.

HTH,
  Jeffrey