[ltp] TP600E modem config

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:07:55 -0600

Mauro Maroni wrote:

>Hello:
>
>Anyone using the TP600E Lucent internal modem can provide a good
>configuration?

600E internal modem is not made by Lucent, it is an IBM Mwave modem.

> I am only able to connect at 32000 bps and I would like to
>speeed it up to 56000 if possible.

The last few versions of the Mwave driver allow v.90 operation, so you
should get speeds above 32000. However, at least with my 600E, I've
found that the Mwave modem does not negotiate as high a connect speed as
other modems. I have a cheap Supra Express here that connects at speeds
about 20% faster than the Mwave, on the same line calling the same modem
pool.

You can get the current Mwave driver from IBM here:
http://www-124.ibm.com/acpmodem/

Or you can see if your Linux distribution has the current version
packaged. I don't know of any configuration tweaks that would help
speed. I've been using the installed default settings, what few there are.

wes