[ltp] Need to migrate from a T30 to new T41

Andreas D. Landmark linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:11:23 +0100

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 02:27:28PM -0500, Brad Langhorst wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 13:48, Jericho Gutierrez wrote:
> > I'm upgrading to a T41 from my existing T30.  I'd like to move all my data
> > from my T30 hard drive to the new one with minimum hassle.  Can I simply do
> > a dd copy of the drive to the new one and then do a kernel re-config for the
> > new hardware?  Or is it not worth the headache?
> >
> i'd say don't bother with dd - just copy the disk over the network using
> rsync from single user mode.
> you can do this easily by booting the new machine from a knoppix cd and
> formatting the disks with whatever fs you want.
>
> the disadvantage of dd is that it will only be the size of your old disk
> and requires trickery to resize the filesystems

There aren't many filesystems that doesn't resize easily these days,
expanding is supported in ext3, xfs, reiserfs.
The main problem though, would probably to have both disks connected at
the same time...

--
Andreas D. Landmark / noXtension
If you think the United States has stood still, who built the largest