[ltp] Network problem...

Adam Southerland linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 18:28:20 +0000

I started with Slackwares base config files and modified the necessary files
to get the cards working.

The good news is that I ghosted my drive before I nuked it. Right now I am
in the process of restoring it to see what is going on. Maybe my PCMCIA dies
or somthing... I don't know. Everything I did, I have done to the new box
(or so I thought)

My hardware didn't change so I am baffled.

I thought it might be because my sound card was on IRQ 5 and my NIC was too.
I fixed that and it didn't help any. (Note: Sound is not enabled at all
within Linux)

PS2 doesn't show anything out of the ordinary =(

My restoration will be done in 2.5 hours (Printer port is SLOW!!!!)

Does that help anyone?
Thanks,
Adam

PS
Config files that were updated:
     /etc/modules.conf
     /etc/pcmcia/config
     /etc/pcmcia/config.opts   (Possibly a mem range need excluded... didn't
look at closely... did exclude IRQs though)
     /etc/XF86Config

>"Since I rebuilt my box" - do you have your previous config file?  Or,
>if it was the default one, you could extract it.  Then run diff between
>the old and new, and see what's changed.  Tell us, someone may know
>something about it.
>
>Regards,
>Bret
>
>On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 01:42, Adam Southerland wrote:
> > noone is answering my questions in LinuxQuestions.org or the Realtek
>forum
> > so maybe this is a thinkpad problem...
> >
> > Problem: Since I rebuilt my box, my NICs, when under load, start
>dropping
> > packets and won't pick them up again until I release then renew the IP
> > address - If the renew process works.
> >
> > NICs: Encore [rtl8139 chipset], and an IBM EtherJet -- both PCMCIA of
>course
>8.0)
> > Kernel: 2.2.19
> > Model: Thinkpad 760XL
> >
> > What more info do you need?
> > LinuxQuestions Form:
> >
>http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=153804&highlight=Dropping+packets
> >
> > This is driving me mad! =(
> >
> > Adam

One-click access to Hotmail from any Web page – download MSN Toolbar now!