[ltp] Re: R40 hibernation?

Frank Schmitt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 09:39:46 +0100

Kevin Mescher <kmescher@vt.edu> writes:

> I've got a new R40 (Model 2897), but I'm unable to get
> hibernation to work.  Here's what I've done so far:
>
> Converted the NTFS partition (stupid XP) to Fat32.
>
> Created a save2dsk.bin file on the Fat32 partition, enough
> to hold system+video RAM.
>
> Checked it with the phdisk floppy (from IBM's website).  The
> program says I have a save2dsk.bin on the C: drive (where
> it should be).
>
> When I hit Fn-F12, all I get is a beep from the system.
> Same when using 'tpctl --H'
>
> When I use 'tpctl --H', I get this:
>
> tpctl: SMAPI BIOS error 0x91 ("system is invalid") --
> exiting.
>
> Suspend to RAM works fine.  Any idea on what I'm missing?

It here works with a special partition devoted only to the
save2disk.bin file. However, this partition isn't FAT32 but "hidden
FAT16". (I read on a webpage that it has to be this.)
/dev/hda2          1356      1397    317520   1e  Hidden Win95 FAT16 (LBA)
Of course the partition and the file inside it have to be large enough
to hold your RAM, the RAM of your graphics adapter and some more stuff.

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough