[ltp] Linux Mandrake Installation and 802.11b

Greg Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:26:52 -0500

On Tuesday 16 March 2004 12:46 pm, kutch ariola wrote:
> Question on Linux mandrake 9.2.......
> I already installed Linux Mandrake on my R40 but I played on it I tried to
> install some softwares but suddenly All programs are remove? What is the
> problem with this

This was a bug in rpm that kept the menu files locked when the postinstall
scripts tried to run.  The quick fix is to run 'update-menus -v' as root and
your menus should be restored.  This was fixes in an update so the permanent
solution is to install all the updates and then run 'update-menus -v' one
more time.

> And also whay I cannot start my Intel Pro 802.11b wireless on Mandrake? coz
> in Windows I will just simple press FN+F5 then I have my window to start
> the wireless but how can I start in Mandrake?

Because it doesn't work in Mandrake 9.2 (or any linux distro for that matter).
Intel did not start supporting the Intel wireless solution on Linux until
just about a week ago anyway.  To get this working you want to look at the
driver just released by Intel, or a project over at sourceforge called
ndiswrapper, which will allow you to use your XP driver in linux.  You will
also want to have the wireless-tools package installed.  BTW, wireless
configuration is much easier in Mandrake 10.0.

Also, just a word of advice, if you have the impression that starting your
wireless interface in Linux is as simple as hitting Fn-F5, you have a lot of
reading you need to do.

--
/g