[ltp] Recovery experience (was: Re: Captive Linux GPL NTFS Driver)

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:00:47 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Tino Keitel wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 00:23:19 +0100, Vincent Touquet wrote:
> > By the way, does IBM provide an XP OEM cd if you want to reinstall
> > XP in a different partition or is that what the recovery cds are for ?
> >
> > I just got my shiny new Thinkpad and I am looking for a cd, but I cannot
> > find one :) I do think that I will want to reinstall XP sooner or later.
>
> I simply called IBM and complained about a broken recovery procedure
> (which was actually broken: the MBR was not rewritten. Seems like all
> those recovery-only Windows versions really suck hard) and got all the
> CDs for the R40 two days later.

(Not the XP OEM cds but the recovery CDs) IBM says - if requested
within a month of purchase - they send them for free. Otherwise they
charge $40 for them (unless there is someother warranty work requiring
the cds).

So, my sugestion is - call IBM immediately after purchasing a new
ThinkPad - and request for the recovery CDs.

A wired case was when someone purchased a refurbished Laptop from IBM.
IBM support guy refused to send the CDs (without a charge) - claiming
that the warranty started 6months back (with the first owner) - and
the free 1 month duration was well past. Luckly the machine was toast
- so it was easy to use the 7day return policy :)

Satish