[ltp] Framebuffer Console with a TP240?

Sascha Heid linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:20:28 +0100

Hello all!

I just bought a TP240 from Ebay, its my first notebook ever and i am
very happy so far.

I installed Gentoo-Linux on it and the install went very smooth (with a
little help from the Desktop-CPU via nfs).

Its a TP240 with 300MHz Celeron, 64MB and 20GB HD, and relevant for my
problem, it has the neomagic video-card.

The Problem is, without frambuffer console the resolution is only at
640x480, so there is a big fat black border of unused space.
There is no problem with xfree though, so its not that bad.

I tried both the neofb and vesafb (kernel 2.6.4), but with neofb the
kernel is oopsing a lot (it oopses immediately if i do "dmesg").
The vesafb has no effect at all.

I have not found anything about this big-black-border problem on the
"thinkpad 240 on linux" sites though, so i wonder if there's maybe
something i missed or overlooked. It cant be configured in the bios.

The only thing left to try that comes to my mind would be a bios-update,
but i dont wanna do that if i dont have to :-)

Thanks for any hints,

Sascha Heid