[ltp] IBM TP600 - No sound on MDK10, modem, net card

Michael Hagemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:44:22 +0100

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:09:57 +0100 tomas.kaluza@centrum.cz wrote:

> The sound did not get configured at all though. And I do not know how
> to make it work now. Mainly the device file /dev/dsp is missing, and I
> do not know how to make it. Can You help me? And can You help me how
> to continue with sound configuration? (I guess run sndconfig, but I am
> not sure exactely what to enter.)

This is a often discussed topic on this list.  Do a search through the
archives and chances are that you'll find a solution for your exact
configuration...

> The second question is concerning the modem. I have read articles,
> that it does work under Linux, and that the source drivers are
> available, but I could not get the drivers themselves. (The IBM link
> was dead).  Any hint? Thanks for help.

The driver is in the kernel for a while now.  It's called ACP Modem
(mwave).  A corresponding module should exist for Mandrake.  You can try
something like "modprobe mwave"...

> The last question regards the PCMCI ethernet card. Do You have any tip
> on st. that is known to work well on TP600?

I one of those realtek chip cards without problems.  Only thing is, that
I have to do a manual "cardctl eject" before suspending.  That seems to
be a common problem.

hth,
michael